Thursday, August 1, 2013

Cool Things My Friends Do: Design Homes For Migrants And Win A Prize For It!

Cool Friend: Jen Shin
Cool Project: Way Home

I was an architecture major for my first year of college. I was in love with the design aspect and history behind it rather than the actual creation of it, though I would not realize this until the end of that school year. In that time, I made many friends I still speak to today. We were a class of about 20 at Drexel University, and shared the studio space with 20 or so sophomores a year above us. One of those a year ahead was Jen Shin.

Jen was always friendly, but I didn’t really get to know her until after I had left the architecture program to pursue a communications degree at Temple University. She became roommates with one of my best friends in the program, and Jen and I got closer every time I visited their apartment. I remember one night in particular when she taught me how to make sushi rolls, we downed margaritas, and chatted the night away. No iPhones, no Facebook, no TV.  Simple, communal, fun and thoughtful. Jen is the same way. I say all this because in order to fully understand an artwork, one must understand the hand that crafts it.

This past June, Jen received Drexel University’s Michael Pearson Memorial Award
for her work on her Senior Thesis, Way Home: A Compound for [North] Korean Pilgrims in Seoul. The project, which can be viewed HERE in detail, embodies everything that I have come to know about Jen. It offers a welcoming atmosphere for those in need. It is as its title says: a place for North Korean migrants to live and commune as they transition into their new homeland of South Korea.

The Korean War (1950-1953) resulted in the development of two different countries along what was called the 38th Parallel, a military border between them. Even now, 60 years later, families in both countries are still hearing the echoes of the war. Today, many in North Korea leave the country for reasons such as hunger and political disagreement. These people, called defectors, come to South Korea and are brought into an arguably rigorous immigration process. There are many differences between living in North and South Korea, the main one being that North Korea has more communal living because of its government. As Jen explains in her thesis, many are not used to freedom and privacy that the Republic of South Korea offers. Some are uncomfortable with it, and prefer to visit one another’s dwellings extremely often once in South Korea. Jen’s project offers a mixture of both countries’ cultures, as well as a more smooth transition into the defectors’ new nation.

Jen’s concept for this balance is brilliant yet simple. Way Home is a series of structures that intertwine with one another, and have moving walls and doors that allow for both privacy and community.  There are of course homes, but there are also gardens, paths, galleries, and other areas that make it a mixture between a humble apartment complex and upscale dormitory. The same year I was studying architecture, I lived in Myers Hall at Drexel. Our dorm was three stories tall, with a courtyard in the center and two wings. The first floor was all arts students. Doors were open all day and night, music was played while paintings were created and while hot dogs were grilled outside. It was a community more than individual dorm rooms. That is what I imagine Way Home to be, if were I to walk into it.

Jen states that “the buildings in Way Home are merely ingredients, guests that pull up to the table, to partake in a shared plate. This nowness, this presentness, is exactly what makes this thing tick.”

The location and construction of the project additionally make it a balance between city and nature. Located in the outskirts of Seoul, it lies in a valley between two hills. The structures are made of wood with green roofs, making it almost blend in to the scenery, not to hide it from the world, but more to encompass its natural beauty. This blending is symbolic to the blurred line between architecture and art.

“I view art and architecture as one continuum,” Jen says. “I believe that as artists, it is our job and privilege to create work that contributes to the collective human project.”

Though Jen’s design is visually brilliant, its functionality to me is far more important. It is a place for people to live. And truly live, not just sleep and eat. That human aspect is exactly what I have learned from Jen as an artist and friend.



“I would indeed love to see this project become a reality in South Korea, and am currently working on creating a more complete booklet of Way Home to send to various organizations and groups. I'd like my work and career to focus on creating architecture and design that enables its users to enjoy a fully present existence while sustaining a spirit of genuine discovery within its process.”


- Jen Shin

No comments:

Post a Comment